Thursday, November 10, 2011

Resistance


“Sinful desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death.” (James 1:15)

“The ultimate outcome of capitulating to temptation is death, but the ultimate outcome of resisting it is the fullness of life.” (www.bible.org)

Oh, how I pray when I read these thoughts that the Lord would keep me strong in my resistance! I need to vigorously oppose that which is not life-giving in my walk and this calls for me to be vigilant and aware.  I must be more active and less passive in my stance against evil.  When was the last time I took an active stand for the One whom I believe?  When was the last time I really fought against some thing, action, or idea I don’t believe in?

All too often, it is easy for me to comply and not abstain; all too often, it is easy for me to go along rather than turn down. I probably worry more about upsetting those around me than I do about upsetting the Christ who died and rose for me.

I desire the fullness of life that is mentioned here and promised to me in John’s gospel. The heart of the matter is that I can not entertain sin and expect to receive life at the same time. I have to actively move away from one thing in order to rightfully, willingly, fully, embrace the other. It isn’t easy, it requires ongoing discipline and I won’t accomplish it at all without Christ as my Advocate and Counselor.

As I journey along, I desire to host life and slay death.
As I journey along, I desire to welcome life and turn away death.
I desire to nourish life and reject that which could prove literally deadly to my physical, emotional, and spiritual self.

I need to be watchful. I need to be warned and forewarned. I invite others into my journey because I am mindful that I need the encouragement of others in the act of staying the course. I also invite others into my journey because I am aware that they may recognize the struggle for real life in the same way that I do and presently am.

I turn daily to my Deliverer; I invite your prayers that my heart and life would be made right in the sight of Him who is the life. Let it not be said of me that He came unto His own, and His own knew Him not (John 1:11).

No comments:

Post a Comment