Monday, September 24, 2012

More honesty, honesty...


Lord, help me to be patient with Dena* who annoys me...

Show me what it means to love her with genuine affection and take delight in honoring her. I know I cannot do this out of my own strength and ability; I also know loving those who aren't necessarily easy to love is a large portion of the Spirit-filled life.You would have me to love her (and others) as Christ would love her, in a manner which is natural and not contrived, false, or somehow forced. For the sake of our common good, you would have us look toward the goal of unity with one another. 

 You would have me exercise much grace toward her, remembering that when I seek to refresh her, I also refresh myself. (Matthew Henry).

How I respond to those around me is a definite mark of my commitment to Christ and His church. Whereas an unsaved and sinful person looks to the satisfaction of selfish needs and desires; the person who is being sanctified looks toward the needs and desires of others in a non-self-promoting fashion. (adapted from www.bible.org).

Help me not to see Dena as a rival or person against whom I need to compete Help me not compare my gifts with hers. Instead, may I use my gifts in a way which complements her gifts and allows us both to be used of You. 

It would be so easy for me to get envious or irritated when You would have me be humble and considerate. Enable me to be both thoughtful and gracious, not prideful or overly concerned with me.. 

As you put Yourself and your reputation aside to serve those who have otherwise have been apart from You, help me to do likewise. If you want me to help Dena in some way by behaving wisely toward her, enable me to display a godly attitude and act as You would act. 

Thank You for Your Spirit who makes this life-walk possible and prosperous, 

To You alone be glory...

* Dena is a real acquaintance, but her name is confidential.

No comments:

Post a Comment