Thursday, September 22, 2011

Envy


Within my process of being real, I confess envy frequently robs me of contentment. I yearn for what I think would be the ideal life and frequently lose my focus on the life I have. If I am going to pursue life as someone who is truly unencumbered, I have to be willing to tackle my envy every time it rears its ugly head.  I can’t allow envy to take over my reality in such a way that I become sullen and embittered. I shouldn’t be drawn to what isn’t when I could be living out what is:

What is the purpose for which God gave me life again this day? He is my Creator.
What is the purpose for which Christ died for me on Calvary’s tree? He is my Redeemer.
What is the purpose behind the Holy Spirit’s empowering me to face the next challenge that lies ahead? He is my Sustainer.

To envy the model her gorgeous figure and alluring eyes will not get me very far at all.

To envy my friend her family rather than appreciating my own is most likely a waste of time.

To envy someone else’s gifts and talents rather than employing my own is a waste of God-given energy which could be put to better use.

Maybe for me, not envying and learning to be content will require more conscious effort than it does for someone else. I need to be honest with God about this: I often envy rather than being appropriately engaged. I need I AM to give me continual reminders of what is so that I can keep from being distracted by what is not and what does not.

I trust He can instruct me and satisfy me as I come before Him to know Him more and more…I desire my heart would be kept teachable…I desire a heart wholly devoted to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment