Monday, March 11, 2013

Pacing and Striving


From Amie's Desk


I have decided again today: I want to live in a season of bold answers. The kind of answers found within the hymn Christian, Do You Struggle? The last stanza of the hymn, inspired by Andrew of Crete, says:

Christian, do you wrestle those who taunt and claim, 
"Why keep fast and vigil? Prayer is said in vain." 
Christian, answer boldly: "While I breathe I pray!"
Peace shall follow battle, night shall end in day.

I want to live my life in such a way that prayer is as natural as breathing  I want to rely on the boldness of the Holy Spirit when I don't have a boldness of my own. I want to keep close watch and vigil on my everyday life so that I don't miss opportunities to watch God at work. I want the discipline of prayer as way of life even if my way of life is not so popular, practical, or realistic to others. I can't help but think my life would be different and uncharted if my eyes were even more focused upon the King and His will. 

I do need to live with the confidence that peace shall follow battle and I need to keep my armor on. I need to to don the shield of faith every day and have my sword always ready and steady. I need to know and be reminded that the night of this life will not last; I need to keep pressing on in the firm hope that dawn is even now on the horizon. My natural walk may be a shuffle and a step-drag, step-drag, but my spiritual walk can be as competent as a runner who has found her stride. My pace need not waver as the finish line draws closer because my source of competence is not myself; it is supernatural. The God who knows me is the same One who enables me and He is able to do more than just keep me slogging along. He can cause me to sing and sing boldly. He gives me life and He calls me to live it boldly: sharp and strong, wise and humble, advancing feet yet worn-out knees.

Inhale and exhale, in and out, contract and expand, thoughts, prayers, and breaths all coming together in opposition to anyone who might stand against. 

Fearless and beautiful in the middle of a weekday afternoon... 


No comments:

Post a Comment