Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Choices

“Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires.” (James 1:20).

This verse seems like such a common sense verse. It seems to be stating that which already should be obvious.  One of the difficulties with human anger is that it’s prone to make people let go of common sense. When I begin to think less than straight, the upright life and attitude which God desires for me to have has the opportunity to fly right out the window. I definitely do not show my prettiest, most attractive, face when I allow myself to get or stay angry.  

Thinking honestly about anger and righteousness prompts me to think about another verse of Scripture:  “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”(Philippians 4:8). What would my life look like, practically speaking, if I made it a personal goal to focus on the lovely instead of the unlovely?

 There are enough unlovely things in the world without my adding anything more to them. I know pursuing what is commendable and proper frequently seems more difficult than choosing that which is mean or evil; I need to be reminded daily that I do have choices.

In the heat of the moment, when I am stressed out, I do have a choice.
When somebody upsets me and I want to lash out, I do have a choice.
Before I let go and let all of my frustrations come tumbling out, I do have a choice.

This is where the slow part of slow to become angry finds its hands and feet, its true to life application.

There are positive things to be said of the person who truly knows what it is to practice restraint. There are positive things to be said of the person who knows what it looks like to hit the pause button rather than the fast forward or rewind.

I know I have a pause button, but I am not always successful at employing it when I should be. Here’s a good point for me to ponder and look toward applying before I hit the boiling point again next time: A little more restraint exercised wisely today may lead to fewer regrets expressed tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment