Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Greatness


“Down in a lowly manger, the humble Christ was born;
Our God brought us salvation that blessed Christmas morn.”

Oh my friends, what a gift is mine! I have the privilege and blessing of thinking upon a humble Christ. As I think about Christ being born into humble circumstances, I am reminded of verses in Hebrews which teach of our High Priest:  “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.”(Hebrews 4:15)

As I present Christ to others and reflect upon my witness, I am able to present Him as a person and Savior who is not out of touch with human realities. He knows about testing, weakness, frailty, and temptation. He knows everything but sin. He is able to identify with and understand humanity because He has lived within a human frame. Though He has not experienced everything I’ve experienced, He is not unfamiliar with what it is like to be me. He is the God who put on human flesh; He chose, out of His gracious mercy, to draw near.

As I present Christ to others and reflect upon my witness, I am able to present Him as the One who brings us salvation. As a result of His sinless human life before Father God, He qualified to be the atoning sacrifice and lift the curse which all of the rest us were born under and struggle against. He rescues us, and this is more than good news; this is great news!

I have great news of a Great King! He shows Himself great while all the while showing Himself humble. His is the kind of news and story I must be, could be, and should be sharing all year long until eternity dawns…May He forgive me my timidity and laziness in not sharing His story more boldly and with more frequency than I do. In the days ahead, may He grant me what I need to be both going and telling…Through His Spirit, may He grant me sufficient grace to be living Him out…

No comments:

Post a Comment