Saturday, November 9, 2013

Just Quit the Focus on Yourself

From Amie's Desk



In this, the dawn of my quitting season, I feel led of the Lord to reflect upon one of the earliest texts of my childhood: Psalm 100. Psalm 100 is a psalm of praise and thanksgiving; it's not a psalm of stress, distress, and weightiness. Scholars refer to it as Jubilate because it calls God's people to be joyful. I first learned it under the direction of my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Bloem, thirty-something years ago; I delight to hear it now on the lips of toddlers and young children I have opportunity to be in contact with.

I note that the psalm does not call us as believers to a perfect noise; it calls us to a joyful noise which arises from a cheerful spirit. The psalm calls us to a spirit of gratefulness as we come together from all different experiences and walks of life. We are to come with gratitude before God who is both our Creator and our King.

Starting from an attitude of gratitude shifts the focus from myself as the worshiper toward the One who is being worshiped.

He wants us to worship Him
He wants you to worship Him
He wants me to worship Him.

We are to declare His praise not because He needs us to, but because of who He is.

He doesn't need us.
He doesn't need you.
He doesn't need me.

He chooses to use us...

in order that we may recognize Him for who He is.
in order that we may witness for Him to those around us.
in order that we may declare Him worthy and glorious... even on days when we don't feel worthy or glorious ourselves.

Just quit the focus on yourself and turn your focus toward Me instead: I'm worthy of all your joy; I'm worthy of all you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment